Uphill both ways in the snow.

OK.. well, I was lucky to have a ham father, but he let me solder some of
the boards for our original S-100 system.  Early on it consisted
of many Solid State Music boards, but by the time it was retired had a 14"
10 Meg hard drive with a hand wired-wrapped host interface for the SASI
interface.  The floppys were NorthStar hard sectored 5.25".  Went from 4K to
48K when we got rid of it.

I was about 7 years old when the original machine was built-- I used to
write programs in machine code (no assemblers back then), and by the time I
wrote the CP/M BIOS driver for the 14" drive I was about 11 I think.  I did
the cassette tape thing, but the paper tape thing went away when I was about
5 years old, so I missed it!

Learned "BASIC" by disassembling the original Microsoft BASIC (it was buggy
back then!) and looking at the keywords.

I actually was an "authorized Apple Service technician" when I was in Jr.
High school.  Got me out of Home Ec.  Just had to fix "bad Apple's"!

God, is this how I ended up being a EE who does software?  Maybe a normal
childhood would have been better?  Let's say it this way:  I could identify
with the movie "Wargames" in the early 80's as I was
running almost the same machine as in that movie.  With a 600 baud (!) PMMI
modem..

Oh well, enough nostalgia.

Fred W0FMS