PC Interface via TCP/IP

Hi Guys,

I am working on a satellite tracking software and I want to add antenna
tracking capability. I was thinking of handling the commands through TCP/IP.
What I want is to have the tracking program (software side) send the
commands to the tracking computer(Hardware side) via telnet to a certain
port. Doing it this way allows a separate little program to handle the
hardware tracking. This program can reside in the same computer or anywhere
in the IP network. My question is:

Is there a protocol/command set already out there that I should use?

Does this sound like a good idea or am I wasting my time doing it this way?

Here is a very preliminary jpg of what I have so far.

http://ozoni.com/n4ip/rfspace.jpg

Thanks for the input,

Pieter
N4IP