Re: Spacefraft Aerodynamics - my speculations.

Hi Guys
    According to Montenbruck and Gill
        "Two principally different scattering mechanisms are possible: a specular,
elastic reflection of the impinging particles, and a diffuse reflection. Diffuse
reflection occurs when the atmospheric particles penetrate the satellite surface,
interact with the body molecules, and are finally re-emitted in a random manner,
producing forces tangential to the local surface element. In fact, both types of
scattering occur to various degrees."
   This is part of a description of the way that the scattered particles partially
shield the s/c from the incident flow and thus effect Cd.

    73 de Geoff vk2tfg