RE: KISS this - TH-D7G, PG DOS (upload only)?

I am not sure the Palm could handle a complete ground station ;-)

I did extract the tracking part of JStation into a standalone application so
that I could try it on a PSion 5x using their Java implementation.  Using the
same compiled class files the code ran on Solaris, Linux, Windows and the Psion.
The only problem with the Psion was the performance,  it would not work well
trying to track more than about 3 satellites.  The tracking code is a
translation from C to Java of the code available on the AMSAT web site by N3EMO
(under Source Code).

I do have a major update to JStation that is just sitting on my workstation
here.

Some of the major changes are:

Uses Java Comm API package (it did not exist when I developed the first
version).

Supports Y2K correctly.

Uses the Java 2D graphics package for processing satellite images (again it dod
not exist when I developed the first version).

Supports seperate Receiver/Transmitter rather than a single transceiver.

	I implemented this so that I could use a PRC-1000 for Rx
	and an IC-821 for TX.

Protocol defined by satellite. Has a simple interface (start, stop and view).

	Current protocols implemented are:

		PacSat - for working the Digital Sats.
		Audio - for recording audio from MIR/ISS.
		Launch - launches (execs) an application.
		Monitor - just monitors received AX.25 packets.
		Sedsat - used to decode SedSat telemetry.

Unfortunately,  I have not had a lot of time over the past couple of years and
I have to say that my interest in ham radio and satellites has declined quite a
bit - I was hoping the faster data rates of P3D would rekindle them ;-)

I have been toying with the idea of working on a web based interface to
JStation.  Now that more people are getting 'always connected' home internet
connections it would be nice to be able to leave a satellite system running and
then be able to view and send messages to the satellites from a remote web
browser while at work.  This is fairly simple to implement using a web server
that supports Java Servlets and/or cgi scripts.  I guess this could even be done
with WiSP,  but I have never run WiSP so have no experience of how easy it would
be write add-on software like this.

Out of interest, I was listed as one of the first day users on AO-16.  I was not
running PB/PG but my own C software that was the beginnings of the Linux
software that is still available from the AMSAT ftp site and has also been taken
and modified by the OZ satellite group so that it does not require X-Windows
(PB/PG for Linux).

If anyone is interested in the latest version I can send you a copy.

Regards,

-- John Melton  n6lyt/g0orx

                Principal Systems Software Engineer
        ((      Sun Microsystems,
      (|~~|     Solaris House, Guillemont Park,
       `--'     Minley Road, Blackwater,
                Camberley, Surrey GU17 9QG, England
       JAVA     Phone: +44 1252 421708  (internal ext 21708)
                Email: john.melton@sun.com