RE: KISS this - TH-D7G, PG DOS (upload only)?

> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:14:38 -0400
> To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> From: Dale Coleman <kf4sir@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] KISS this - TH-D7G, PG DOS (upload only)?
> 	[...]
> Now jumping the gun a bit, provided this would work what is involved in
> porting a DOS program to the Palm OS?  Now that would be something! PacSat
> in your pocket.
> 	[...]

Rather than messing around with a DOS program, you might consider porting
JStation, "a software application, written in Java, that implements a
fully automated station for working the Digital Store and Forward Amateur
Radio Satellites."  See http://www.qsl.net/n6lyt/.

I recently had very good luck running Java on my Palm Vx.  I used
the Sun Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) reference implementation.  A few
notes are contained at http://www.saloits.com/CSIS638/Lab3.html.
(The short summary is: buy Eric Giguere's book, "Java 2 Micro Edition"
and things will probably go pretty well.)  I managed to drive the
Palm serial port without digging into the guts of PalmOS, although
I did have to look at the J2ME source code.

JStation could use some updating.  (It should probably be updated to use
the Java Comm package.  Also, I don't think it processes post Y2K Keps --
I have a fix somewhere if anyone is interested.  I think that it
implements SGP-4, but not SDP-4  -- but unlike PocketSat I don't think
is simply gives up.)

Of course, you would need to re-implement the user interface, in part because
the of the smaller Palm screen, and in part be J2ME doesn't implement the
awt package (although I understand a Palm awt is available).

-tjs