Re: Keying the AIDC-3733 VCO

Mahlon, I don't on-off key a beacon.  There is nothing more distracting
while listening to a weak beacon and tuning a front end than have the
beacon suddenly start the CWID using on-off keying.  The best way, in
my humble opinion, is to shift the frequency slightly (300-400Hz) with
the CW.  This will have zero effect on your tuning- no interruptions-
while still complying with the 'ID every minute' rule.  I'll probably
first try a gimmick coupled to the crystal circuit via a 2N2222. After
all, you only have to move the crystal two Hz to get a 512Hz shift at
2400MHz.   By the way, I think you're right about that printed inductor
being the key to increasing the VCO range.  I'll try it when I get a
chance.  Thanks!   73 John