Re: AO40rcv and the Kenwood TS-2000

"Timothy J. Salo" wrote:

> Java Remote Method Invocation (RMI) uses object serialization to
> pass arguments and return values.

I'm sorry; I misunderstood what you said. Serializing an int or a string is one
thing. I had the impression that (1) you weren't using RMI and (2) you were
shipping big, complex serialized objects around.

> I don't think whining about Microsoft will assist us in understanding
> the requirements for an appropriate protocol for interconnecting
> amateur radio software.

Oooh....did I touch a nerve? :-)

<rummages around online a bit at www.saloits.com>

Hey! You used to work at Comten! I was a Comten customer when you were a Comten
employee. The good old days... :-)

> The task of the IRLP project looks interesting.  However, I probably
> wouldn't use it as a model of protocol design.  If I understand correctly,
> they are encoding commands as ditigized DPMF audio tones and are using some
> special (and proprietary) hardware (the function of which isn't clear to
> me).

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh YUK! DTMF encoded commands?

 Well, that's "language-independent". Dutch DTMF is *exactly* the same
frequencies as French DTMF. :-) <giggle>

 73 de Maggie K3XS