Re: COMSAT PORTABLE SATELLITE UPLINK SYSTEM

>From: "David Lennig" <lennigde@muohio.edu>
>Stumbled on this while looking for something else on Ebay.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226239035
>
>Anybody know anything about the unit? Is it "interesting"?

David,

If by interesting you mean can I use it for ham radio satellites...Not
really!  This is a portable satellite phone for the INMARSAT System [marine
geostationary satellite system operating at 1.6 GHz].  It is used mainly
for ship-to-shore international telephone service which in the US is run by
COMSAT.  Airtime charges run about $7 per minute.  I know the dish looks
interesting but the feed is not for 2 GHz.  At $224 you can get a nice 4 to
6-foot TVRO dish.

This unit probably retailed for around $3500 when new.  Note that at $224
the Reserve price has not been met [this is the minimum accepted by the
seller].  One bidder made three bids attempting to find what the reserve
price is.  This is  probably best for someone wanting it for the original
purpose.  I would not think it very adapatable or convertable to ham use.

Ed