Re: Antenna Pointers

Hi Dave,
 I know how you feel, I'm going through the same. Here is the little I know.
There are other tracking boxes, most use the serial port to communicate with the
tracking software. Here are some interesting pages you may want to look at:
http://www.hosenose.com/sartek/
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/rotator.html
http://members.home.net/artg/
Check the Amsat pages and look at the FOD tracker also.
 I favor the tracking system on Bob's page. For an low initial setup, you can
track most of the LEOs.
Most of the designs I've seen interface your computer to your rotor box and
switch on the rotors with relays or Triacs. The simplest route would be to have
all the tracking software in the desktop/laptop. The PC toggles lines on the
serial port or the parallel port, switching on or off relays that control the
power to the rotor. The hardware just converts the line levels. The PC moves the
rotor by 'dead reckoning' and doesn't read the actual position of the rotor.
 Standalone Trac boxes have a uController that receive info on the sat (
Lat/Lon) and operates the rotors. Reading the position of the rotor and solving
for the new position. The advantage is once they are loaded with the pass info,
the PC is not required to baby-sit the rotors.
 I can't recommend one over the other, I'm still building my system, but I plan
to use TV rotors also.
Happy hunting and let us know how it turns out,
73 de Bill,  KB0ODJ