Re: AO40rcv and the Kenwood TS-2000

In that respect, Java facilities like RMI, JINI, Object Spaces, etc. are perfect
for remote object location and communication.

We don't need a protocol, only a set of capabilities that need to be available,
and a set of object methods which support them. Java is 100% network capable.

For example, set up one system does real-time tracking. Implement methods which,
sending a satellite name, return the current az-el; expected AOS/LOS; doppler;
ALON/ALAT; etc., etc. The system(s) that control the rotators and/or radios
merely get the required data from the tracking system and command the specific
device.

On the az-el controller I built, I read the az-el info from the serial port.
wisp-dde sends the data there. It can also send radio control bytes, but the
exact way this info is sent doesn't seem to be predictable enough for me to get
the basic stamp to read it reliably, know what I had just read, and either move
rotators or send radio data back out another serial connection to my FT-847.

I was thinking of writing my own version of wisp-dde, and setting up the protocol
myself. But I like the idea of a Java based system much better. Besides, I think
it's Maggie who is working on a Java-based radio control program. If we play this
right, we can get it all to fit together. Time to revisit Java -- it's been a
couple of years since I last used it.

Art, N3OY

--
 ---------