Re: AO-40: Plans for April-June 2001

At 11:26 PM 4/3/2001 -0400, Margaret Leber wrote:
>Maybe we should enumerate the possible categories the "unknown force" could be in:
>
>1) the one some folks have mentioned, aerodynamic asymetries (are we certain that the solar panels haven't partially deployed in some way, for instance?)
>
>2) thrusts from leaking on-board fluids (but why strongest at apogee?)
>
>3) some kind of gravity gradient effects (stronger at apogee because the altitude is lower and thus we're closer to our primary?)

I think you mean "perigee" where you've written "apogee" above.

4) Unintended magnetic torque caused by currents in the circuitry and/or permanent magnets on board.

I suspect that your (3) and my (4) are both too small to be significant.

I would be a lot happier if we could understand the cause of this effect before relying on it to carry us through to the preferred attitude.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org