Re: AO-40: Plans for April-June 2001

Dr. Jim Akers wrote:

> I will start the discussion with some spectulation about the alon changes.
> Is it possible that something has come lose on the s/c and is acting like
> a rudder in the very thin atmosphere?

If it is, I guess it will start acting in the opposite direction
(counterclockwise rather than clockwise) after about 180 degress of
rotation about the Z-axis, and will show up as the return of decreasing
magnetorquing effectiveness.

Maybe we should enumerate the possible categories the "unknown force"
could be in:

1) the one some folks have mentioned, aerodynamic asymetries (are we
certain that the solar panels haven't partially deployed in some way,
for instance?)

2) thrusts from leaking on-board fluids (but why strongest at apogee?)

3) some kind of gravity gradient effects (stronger at apogee because the
altitude is lower and thus we're closer to our primary?)

I'm under the impression that the inertia wheels aren't spinning right
now; can anybody confirm that? If so I'm guessing we can rule out any
kind of an imbalance resulting in a precession force. Once again any
such theory would have to explain why the force esems to mostly be
acting at perigee.

Peter is right that the bird is still teaching us things. Wouldn't it be
nice if we knew what she was teaching *before* we actually learned? :-)

  73 de Maggie K3XS