AO-40 Uninformed Opinion...

Footnote
--------
The command team welcomes informed discussion as to why the alon is rapidly
decreasing i.e. the attitude vector direction changes clockwise as viewed
from above [+Z] the orbit plane. This change only occurs close to perigee.
The phenomenon is clearly observed, but is not explained.

Hello All,

      This suggests to me that the spacecraft is no longer symmetrical.  If
some sheet metal is hanging out in the (tiny) breeze at perigee, then it
would fight the torque coils when presented perpendicular to the
"breeze".  If this is indeed the case, then the same thing might happen
again as we approach the ideal from the other direction, which further
suggests that it may not be possible to point the high gains at the earth.

      This is such a dismal prospect that I hope someone can shoot this
theory down convincingly!!

73, Ken