Drake noise level

I believe this has been asked a while back but I can't find the answer in my
archives.

I have a Drake 2880 with all of the latest mods (except the newest one - add
the inductor from input to gnd) and the R. Myers BBQ dish (no preamp).  I've
been able to receive AO40 now and again but I have noticed something.  When
I connect up my Drake to my 2-meter transceiver, the S-meter on the radio
jumps to about S5-7 with quite a bit of noise emanating from the speaker.
It doesn't seem to be terrestrial noise.  Could I be over-driving my 2-meter
RX?  I have 100 Feet of RG6 Quad shield running from the Drake to the shack.

I think this is limiting my ability to hear AO40, AO16 & UO11.  I cannot
receive UO11 at all and AO16 is quite hit or miss even on the high elevation
passes (when it's turned on that is).

Could I have an oscillation problem?  Or is the inductor mod fix this type
of noise?

I see signal reports of AO40 of S0-2 with their Drake setups and wonder how
that can be if everybody is having an S5-7 noise baseline!

Obviously, I'm missing something.  Any ideas?

Regards,
K3TZ