RE: 13cm -> up and down link?

Depends.  A transverter is likely to have better receive performance than
many of the cheap MMDS downconverters, due to being designed for narrowband
work (less phase noise!).  Given that 2.4 GHz looks like being the primary
downlink, I don't see the uplink being fired up too often, and see C/X being
used in preference to S/X.  Of course, in the (IMHO) unlikely event that V
or U downlinks are restored, things might be different.

The other advantage of a transverter?  Nice to have another band for
terrestrial contesting! :-)  (which is easy in VK, as the satellite segment
is adjacent to the weak signal segment here, can use the same xtal with even
a 2m IF for both uses. :)

Tony Langdon.
Systems Development and Support.