AIDC-2733 gain measurement

All:

While we wait for our 144 Mhz crystals to arrive, I took my
3733 and put it back on the Agilent signal generator and
spectrum analyzer. This time I had the N Adapter in place of
the dipole, so I could more accurately measure conversion
gain.

With 2401.323 Mhz, -80 dBm input I got 123.358 Mhz, -58.86
dBm output

So at our frequencies, I see a conversion gain of only 21.14
dB, which is considerably less than the 37 dB gain printed
on the side label.

Does this correlate with other measurements?

Reason for asking: while in beautiful downtown Atlanta the
signals were S9+ on Sunday, in rainy and depressed Maryland
(the Terps lost to Duke) we didn't hear a peep. So we're
trying to figure out where the problem lies. (And yes, we
remembered the time change; had the latest keps; and a
reasonably accurate antenna alignment). We tried both a DEM
converter and the AIDC, both on a parabolic grid antenna.
The AIDC had the integral dipole. I've yet to try the N
adapter hookup.

How much effect should we expect shooting through a maple
tree with no leaves on it? Enough to completely null the
signal?

Any other ideas?

Tks,
Art, N3OY