RE: AO-16 Mode S reception

At 12:58 01-04-2001, you wrote:
>Hello Jens
>
>No - I've never even had the lid off it!
>
>Didn't realise it was as good as 0.05ppm though...

After 1 - 2 hours of warmup!
That's at least according to AOR, mileage untested.
But having bought the thing i would of course like to believe it...... :-)

>Tried it on AO-16 S band last night with Wisp/WispDDE and I was within 1kHz
>when I tuned in. It was 3kHz out at the end.

How far apart were these in time (time from 1 to 3 khz ?)

>I've never quite worked out how, if these prediction programs can predict
>AOS to within a second, that the doppler can drift by so much. Maybe it's a
>rounding thing and you have to be really really accurate or something.

Dont have much experience with Wisp, but one sec sounds a bit optimistic.
S - band on AO-40 drifts pretty fast, according to those who have seen it,
and considering that AO-16 is a LEO it should move MUCH faster up and down
the dial, shouldn't it?. I believe someone on the bb said just a few days
ago that it was all but impossible to follow accurately without AFC or
computer control.

Unfortunately my AR5K is the original without AFC, so i am trying to let
the computer tune for the doppler. there seems to be an error when using
wispdde, not sure why. it tunes ok but 300khz too low. i must investigate
it. i use a USB-serial adapter, i wonder if this is it?

73 de OZ1LRG