AO40 modes

Jon Ogden wrote:

...it is very likely we could have both U/S and L/S working at the same time
and we could even have V/S.

Wayne replies:

Keep in mind that the passband is 250 kHz wide for the U and L uplinks, but
only 150 kHz wide for the V uplink.  This limitation is mostly because of
the ITU satellite frequency allocation of 145.8-146.0 MHz.

Mode V/S users probably wouldn't really miss that 40% of the passband.  But
for "full" access, U is a better uplink than V.  Plus, the antenna can be a
bit smaller.

I think it is VERY cool that the IF matrix can combine multiple uplink
bands. I can't think of a good reason to run completely separate
uplink/downlink combinations until we have too many users to fit in a 250
kHz bandwidth.  Or to save power by only connecting the 10 GHz downlink to
the handful of users who use the 5 GHz uplink.

73 de Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA