Re: RS-15

Leslie,

RS-15 is not a good bird to start on and it is especially poor for portable
operation.  The bird has a VERY weak downlink and does not transmit
reliably.  I have an Oscar 10 class station and the few times I have tried
listening for the bird, I have not heard it.  For a portable operation of a
2m/10m bird, I would suggest RS-12/13.  RS-15 just isn't there and besides,
there is rarely anyone on it to even work it.  So even if you could get into
it and hear it, you'd talk to yourself.

Jon
NA9D

on 3/18/01 9:59 PM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> Those of you who work RS-15, what are the Pros and Cons to working this
> satellite?
>
> What do you use for antennas especially? Would a 2m "eggbeater" type
> antenna work well?  If so how much power is needed? Would a 10m dipole be
> best for receiving?
>
> Is it an easy one to do in a portable type operation?
>
> W4SCO

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA