Re: Special Bulletin ANS-063.02 BOD Meeting

Paul Williamson wrote:

> It does shed some light on those tradeoffs, but to me this story is
> about TESTING....From the little I've
> seen of the inside of amateur spacecraft projects, though, I have come
> to believe that there is a systematic weakness in the way we handle
> engineering "process", including design review and testing.

Points extremely well-taken. Design-reviews, testing and other
defect-prevention practices are vital.

I will observe that while hardware and software testing can be easy or
hard, thorough or spotty, a *complex* system is implicitly more
difficult to test than a simpler one. "Software vs. hardware" can very
often be a decision as to where your complexity is going to occur.
Complex software *can* be more tractable than equally complex hardware,
because software is a much more malleable medium.

On the other hand, weak software technology can be stinky mess, too...

73 de Maggie K3XS