PRC-1000 as spectrum analyzer

The current thread on the PCR-1000 has renewed an interest in using this
radio as the front end of a poor man's spectrum analyzer.  Does any one
know of software to implement this?  Are the command codes well documented
so I might try to write it myself? Also is the US block of specific
frequencies on the newer models of this radio something that can be gotten
around or should I look for an older used model.  I am not wanting
particularly to be able to receive these frequencies off the air but the
block might be detrimental for a spectrum analyzer application.  I would
hate to not be able to see harmonics in an area they might cause the most harm.

Thanks
Larry
- Imagine it / Achieve it - Dream it / Become it -
  Larry P. Thomas    wa0gwa  voice : 1 913 888-0282
  Krell Technologies           fax :
  8960 Bond                  pager : 1 913 617-HELP
  Overland Park, KS              www.krell.com
  66214-1722    USA            lpthomas@krell.com