Re: satellite antennas

on 3/11/01 11:34 PM, Larry at ve2me@AMSAT.Org wrote:

> I have a klm 2m14c and a klm 435-40cx.
>
> in both manuals it doesnt mention about how
> the elements should be positioned either
> in a + or x  cofiguration  when mounting
> the antennas on the crossboom.

Theoretically, it makes no difference.  CP is CP.

Practically, though, some guys like the X configuration better than the +
configuration.  Why?  In the X position, you have no elements in line with
either the boom or the mast.  The idea is it helps to prevent pattern
distortion.  Does it matter that much?  Probably not.

Another reason some people like the X is that they have the elements phased
and switched so they can chose LHCP, RHCP, Linear or Vertical polarizations.

Finally, I have mine mounted in an X primarily because it allows my
cross-boom to be narrower and I don't end up hitting my guy wires as easily
when I rotate the antenna up.

73,

Jon
NA9D