Paccomm Help

I recently acquired a PacComm Sprint-2 (which apparently predated the
Spirit-2 and is essentially the same). I can't get it to communicate
with my computer using HyperTerminal. All I get when I pwr up the TNC
is garbage characters. I decided to borrow a friends Spirit-2 which I
know works and I can't get it to connect to my computer either. I'm
using the recommended settings 8-n-1 at 9600 baud and have COM 3 set
to these same settings using the device manager. I have also tried a
number of other settings, but there are many permutations and I don't
have time to guess any more. Anyone know what's up. I bought the
Spirit-2 to replace my old PK-232 which I upgraded with the TAPR 9600
baud modem for Digi Sats. It worked well with my FT-736R but never
could seem to get the deviation level high enough to be effective
with my FT-847. All suggestions welcome.

Rick
W5JAZ
--
Richard J. Lawn