Re: Special Bulletin ANS-063.02 BOD Meeting

I have yet to get my Journal as well, but here are the reasons I see right
off the bat.

Inclination of 0 or near 0 is a good thing for those wanting GEO orbit.
This means there are lots of payloads launched to GTO every year.  Many
payloads greatly increases our chances of hitching a low cost ride (we can't
afford full price).  Not having a propulsion system of our own greatly
increases our reliability while decreasing our mass, complexity and cost.
Decreased mass means more chances of hitching a ride.  GTO still affords
much better global coverage than LEO.

There are several other groups building LEO birds (for which I am glad!).  I
think this is a very good decision by the board.

The other choice of spin stabilization simplifies stabilization and heat
transfer again meaning less weight and less to go wrong.  10 points to the
first person to invent a good way to increase the effective area of the
solar panels on a spin stabilized bird!

73,
Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org

Here is a partially related concept.  Would it be possible (theoretically
anyway) to circularize a GTO orbit using momentum wheels and active magnets?