Re: Special Bulletin ANS-063.02 BOD Meeting

At 15:50 3/7/01 -0500, John Hansen wrote:
>At 07:28 PM 3/6/01 +0000, Richard W L Limebear wrote:
>>  "Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" writes:
>>
>> > Tally a vote for Phase 3E
>>
>>And a vote *against* "beginners' satellites. A sad day; no more recruits =
>>downhill from here onwards.
>
>Personally, I started on OSCAR 10.   But more significantly than this,
>there have been tons of beginner's satellites in recent years.  The
>problem currently is that there is nothing to move on to, even if you
>start on those satellites.  It doesn't do much good to bring in a lot of
>new recruits, interest them in satellites and then have them give it up
>because there are only so many interesting things you can do with a LEO FM
>bird.
>
>I'm with Vince.  I think the BOD is proceeding in exactly the right
>direction on all three counts.

I also agree. There are a number of other organizations doing great things
at the 'beginner satellite' level
(both on the construction end and the 'user' end). We surely need both and
it's great to see that there
is enough interest that multiple satellites always seem to be in the
construction stage at any given time.

I started with OSCAR 7 and after a long layoff am constructing a station to
get active again on all the
birds, new and old. I'll certainly contribute $$ toward P3E, the sooner we
get started on it, the better :-).

John - K9IJ

-

k9ij@vx5.com