Re: NASA SPEC Connectors

Bob,

Crimp connections (if done properly) are better than solder
connections.  If you are using stranded wire and attempt to solder it
the solder will wick up into the wire and not allow the wire to flex
at the pin.  If subjected to vibration the wire will break off
eventually.

On 5 Mar 2001, at 16:14, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> I hate to ask this here, but we have a 10 pin NASA flight connector.
> SPecs say the pins are to be crimped on to the wires.  But the Crimper
> costs hundreds of $$$ and no one has one.  Our question is "why cannot we
> just solder the pins to the wires?  THey are hollow, gold, and the wires
> slip inside beautifully.  Would take 5 minutes to solder them...
>
> I can understand that in "production" a crimper is "reproducible,
> measureable, and certifiable"  But for a one time connector it is an
> impossible bureaucratic snafu requiring hours of coordination and search.
>
> Can anyone that works in the space business tell me why we cannot just do
> a good soldering job on these 10 pins?
>
> Bob

Chuck Gooden N9QBT
Rockford, IL