From: David & Karen Jackson
To: paul.willmott@omsl.bm; bruninga@usna.edu
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Sent: 3/5/01 8:30 PM
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] NASA SPEC Connectors

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:46:19 -0400,  wrote:
><<an impossible bureaucratic snafu requiring hours of coordination and
>search.>>
>
>sounds like NASA

I think I can shed a little light on this.... For the purpose of flight
hardware, a crimped connection is better because it is a mechanical
connection.
 If the current through the connector was enough to cause heating in a
flight
environment  ie. vibration, shaking, landing stress, G forces ect,  a
purely
solder connection may pull loss due to melted solder. This situation
could make
for a bad day for a flight crew and passangers......
David KE4OPA