RE: NASA SPEC Connectors

>From my experience a soldered joint has always been superior
to a crimped joint. Anyone know better?

- Mark West

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Bruninga
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Sent: 3/5/01 5:14 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] NASA SPEC Connectors

I hate to ask this here, but we have a 10 pin NASA flight connector.
SPecs say the pins are to be crimped on to the wires.  But the Crimper
costs hundreds of $$$ and no one has one.  Our question is "why cannot
we
just solder the pins to the wires?  THey are hollow, gold, and the wires
slip inside beautifully.  Would take 5 minutes to solder them...

I can understand that in "production" a crimper is "reproducible,
measureable, and certifiable"  But for a one time connector it is an
impossible bureaucratic snafu requiring hours of coordination and
search.

Can anyone that works in the space business tell me why we cannot just
do
a good soldering job on these 10 pins?

Bob