Re: Drake 2880 & Milli Com MC-251R connectors

Here's how to do it, Maggie.  Use an in-line amplifier with about
30 dB gain.  This is normally way too much for any practical purpose,
and will surely overload your receiver front end.  Here's the trick:
Add a 25 or 30 dB in-line attenuator between the amplifier and the
receiver.   This gets the IF signal from the Drake or other mast-mounted
converter back down where it needs to be, and fully protects everything
from getting fried if you inadvertently transmit into the converter.
The 30dB attenuator will knock a 100W killing blow down to an ignored
100 mW.

I wish I could take credit for this idea, but it has been used with
great success for at least 30 years by the 2-way radio repair bunch
to keep from frying thier signal generators when they accidentally
key the radio at the wrong time.

Just be sure the attenuator is rated for enough dissipation so you
don't burn IT up.   These attenuators show up often at hamfests and
I snatch 'em up if the price is right.

Best regards,  John  W5EME