RE: GRRRRRRRRRRR!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Ogden
To: Tim; 'amsat-bb@amsat.org'
Sent: 3/1/01 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] GRRRRRRRRRRR!

<SNIP>

>I've never experienced UO-14 tumbling or "spinning" and changing
>polarization.  I've copied it indoors on a rubber duck.  It sounds like
>you
>were trying to work the bird near the horizon.  You can get a
>polarization
>shift near the horizon,

I only get about 30 seconds out of each minute till the sat fades out

 but it's not because of the satellite spinning,
but
reflections off the earth and other objects (near horizon, the satellite
signal is almost like a ground wave signal and is subject to multi-path
fading and so forth).

> I guess this means I have to get busy and build those turnstile
antenna
> that I have been talking about

>What antenna have you been using?  A vertical?

Home made 5/8 wave vertical on 2m and home made 5/8 wave vertical on 440
(that one cost 12$ including mast except for coax)

>I wouldn't mess with a turnstyle.  Get a nice small beam or something
>like
>that.   If you are using a vertical, I am not surprised you are having
>problems.

Going to the turnstile first as it is a cheap option and I dont have to
mess with expensive rotators

Keep trying on UO-14.  As soon as someone completes a QSO - CALL THEM.
If
you make it through, you are there.  If you don't make it through - STOP
-
let the QSO finish and then call someone else.  Speak quickly and
firmly.
Don't be timid about waiting for a nice long period of silence before
calling.  You'll never get it.  Forget the "etiquette" used on
repeaters.
UO-14 is a different paradigm.

73,

Jon