Re: AO-40 Reception

on 2/28/01 7:11 PM, Jesse Morris at w4mvb@juno.com wrote:

> I'm trying to determine for those of us who plan to use the helix antenna
> will face the same polarization problems with AO-40 S band as we would
> with the other birds on VHF/UHF using fixed polarization.  I guess a lot
> depends on what attitude AO-40 finally takes but it seems to me that
> polarization switching might be at least desirable if not necessary.

Jesse,

I am curious why you only tried listening to AO-40 when it was near 10
degrees?  Was that just the time of day when you were up?  Also, due to the
pointing of the satellite, the optimal squint angle for reception is getting
earlier and earlier in the orbit (lower phase).

I don't think you'll need the polarization switches very often when AO-40 is
3 axis stabilized.  You won't have the tumbling effects of some of the other
satellites (like AO-10).  Also, AO-40 will likely use its high gain antenna
on S-band most of the time which will be dramatically better than the
signals we have now.

73,

Jon
NA9D