Re: Software Upgradeable Radios - was: Yaesu Command Codes

To the list,

  Recently I saw some comments concerning the Ten-Tec Jupiter and coming
DSP 2m/6m radio they are making. I sent the message along to Ten-Tec for
their comments. Here's what they sent forwarded with their permission.

Bob Arnold N2JEU

>From: "Scott Robbins" <sales@tentec.com>
>To: "Robert Arnold" <arnoldr@ralabs.com>
>Subject: Re: An idea?????
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:29:30 -0500
>
>I'd love to do it, and it's a great idea, but competing with the
>Japanese for a  "DC-to-daylight" rig like the FT847 would be
>quite a challenge for a USA manufacturer like us.  If we were to
>do what's asked below with the Jupiter it would require a
>significant engineering effort and have a very high retail price
>for the end unit.
>
>The flash ROM in the Jupiter has worked out great for us - we
>were able to correct a couple of bugs in response to user
>feedback within days, and everyone who has a radio can
>benefit from the immediate correction rather than having to
>have chips swapped - which can be a headache both for the
>owner of the radio and the manufacturer.  We've also added a
>couple of new features to the Jupiter since its' release and are
>continuing to mull over owner feedback for new "traits" for
>the future.
>
>The latest update, by the way, on the 2 meter/6 meter IF-DSP
>transceiver is that we have passed FCC type acceptance and
>are awaiting the paperwork to arrive for actual confirmation.
>We expect to be taking orders for the new 526 rig shortly
>(price TBA, in the $700 range) and to have them available in
>time for the Dayton Hamvention(tm).  We should have a
>further status update on the VHF radio on our web site in the
>next couple of weeks.
>
>Scott Robbins, W4PA
>Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec
>sales@tentec.com