Re: AO-27/UO-14

>Many times I hear people just come on and say their callsign, and nothing
>more.

SOP on groundbound repeaters, at least around here, but a little confusing
on an FM bird ..

>Maybe people hear you and don't know you're trying to work somebody.  If
>you
>hear somebody you want to work,  call them with  their call and your call
>so they
>know you are trying to work them.

Can't say enough, too, that you should definitely listen on the downlink
while you transmit (using either a dual VFO HT with full duplex or two
radios) and if you don't hear your own voice, drop carrier and listen for
the next gap.  Saying just your callsign is understood as a CQ -- say both
callsigns if you're calling someone ..

"Orthodoxy is orthodoxy because it won, not because it is true." -- Bp.
John Spong
 "Power takes as ingratitude the writhing of its victims." -- Rabindranath
Tagore
         Bruce Bostwick  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu