Re: Re: [psk31] PSK-31 Satellite Donwlink Opportunity?

True.  But you also get some of the funky over the horizon satellite QSO
modes like have been made on RS-13 and documented in the Amsat Journal.

But for the most part, I agree that at sunspot peaks, the access time could
be limited, particularly on low elevation passes.  And with the limited
power output the cube has, it's even more of a problem.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 2/27/01 8:56 AM, Roy Welch at rdwelch@swbell.net wrote:

> When using HF frequencies for satellite communications remember that the
> very thing that makes these bands open for good terresterial DX is going to
> make for limited access time to a satellite.  I recall that during the 2M
> uplink and 10M downlink days of Oscar 6 the satellite had to be high in
> elevation before the angle of incidence at 10M was sufficient for signals
> to break through the ionosphere to reach ground stations.  This in effect
> limited the downlink access time.  Additionally, since the 2M uplink didn't
> suffer from this limitation it was possible for someone to QRM an existing
> QSO because he couldn't hear his downlink on 10M as soon as the uplink
> signal was heard by the satellite.  When the HF bands were dead, conditions
> for satellite work improved considerably with respect to this limitation.
> When they were really open the satellite access was considerably poorer.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na