Re: Software Upgradeable Radios - was: Yaesu Command Codes was: IC-820H radio command codes

Dan Carlisle <carlisle@iastate.edu> wrote:

>It looks like the American radio manufacturer Ten-Tec has caught on:
>From their website:
>"Software is the heart of JUPITER and its all stored in Flash ROM!
>This may be the last HF rig you ever need to buy. We anticipate
>frequent addition of new features. You simply visit our website,
>download the latest and its as if your rig rolled off the production
>line a few minutes earlier. "
>(snip)

The radios I work with professionally have done this
from the beginning: they boot from flash, and you can
upgrade them any time you need to with new firmware.
Wander over to <http://www.glenayre.com> and search
for "R9000" for an example.

This *does* require getting the hardware right, but
with relatively generic hardware, the hard part moves
in to the software.

BTW: I ordered one of the USB developer kits mentioned
over the weekend. I see possibilities. :-)