Re: AO-27/UO-14

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 11:26:05PM -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
> If you know me, you will know I am among the first to urge people to move
> away from the FM satellites.  However, they have their purpose and they are
> not flawed.  They are just not used for the purpose they are designed for.
> A butter knife won't cut steak and a steak knife isn't good for spreading
> butter.  But neither is "flawed."

Your analogy is flawed though. A butter knife or a steak knife
can be used for other things (they are both knives). What would
you say the purpose of an FM voice satellite is?

I think flawed is exactly the right term for them. Note again,
I did not say that makes them unusable. Only that they are
not well suited to what we try to do with them -- ie lots of
people trying to talk to lots of other people, all at the same
time, on a single channel. ie flawed.

hamish