RE: Yaesu Command Codes was: IC-820H radio command codes

Hello Maggie

> If anyone should be aware of any undocumented command code for the Yaesu
> FT-847, I'd be delighted to hear about them. The list exposed in the
> user manual, frankly, sucks rocks it is so limited. I've done some
> limited probing from the framework of my Java prototype code, but struck
> no paydirt hacking it so far,

I understand _exactly_ what you're saying.

Not only are most Yaesu radios totally incompatible with each other at the
CAT level, but simple things such as programming the memories aren't even
available as a CAT function - you have to do a botch job using the clone
function if you want access to the memories, and I never got that to work.
Even the order of the bytes for functions such as 'Set Frequency' differs
between radios.

The ICOM CI-V method seems far superior - except you have to jump a few more
hoops with the RS-232 hardware converter.

I recently tried to write an automatic frequency tracking program for the
FT-100 and FT-817 but gave up when I realised you simply didn't have enough
control over the radio to be able to track everything that was going on.
Similarly you can't program the FT-100 when it's transmitting.

At a higher level, coming up with a generic framework for all these radios
is an incredibly tough job as I'm sure you found. As radios start to have
more and more functionality and modes, each implemented in their own way, I
can't see the job becoming any easier.

73 Howard G6LVB