Re: Re: [psk31] PSK-31 Satellite Donwlink Opportunity?

on 2/26/01 12:59 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

> Ah, another very good point.  So if the INBAND is not such a great idea,
> then maybe 15 meters UP and 10 meters down. This solves many problems:
> 1) users can operate full duplex
> 2) The satelite diplexer is much easier

Why are we insistent on using HF for this satellite?

1.) 15 Meters tends to be VERY crowded during good solar seasons like now
2.) Is the data portion of 15 meters in the satellite uplink band?
3.) Most HF transceivers CANNOT full duplex cross band.  The FT-847 won't
even do mode T.  Because of the duplexers and filters built into HF rigs,
you'd need 2 of them.  My FT-1000D has a second bandpass filter for the
second RX, however I still can't listen while transmitting.

If you are going to do this, why not use a simple 2m transceiver as the
uplink and 10m as the downlink.  Then it fits in the band plans and so
forth.  As for Doppler, well, heck, it can all be adjusted for in software
as you guys say.

73,

Jon
NA9D