Re: 70 cm preamp

on 2/26/01 11:19 AM, Estes Wayne-W10191 at W10191@motorola.com wrote:

> When is a preamp needed with a 42-element CP 70 cm Yagi?

You'd be surprised.

> That antenna has more than enough gain to hear LEO satellites without a
> preamp.  And none of the high-orbit satellites have working 70 cm
> transmitters.

I have the KLM 40 element CP beams.  My DEM preamp takes the signal from an
S3 to S5 to an S9+.  You'll also get longer RX coverage out of the bird as
well.  You'll hear it longer as you are effectively extending your own
station's footprint.  It makes one much less of an alligator and gives good
ears.  It helps so that you can hear weaker stations.

Also, if he ever plans to do UHF terrestrial work using that antenna, he'll
need it.

As for the HEO birds, well as of right now you are correct.  We still don't
know the final status of AO-40.  Additionally, who knows what might go up on
the next bird that is launched.

73,

Jon
NA9D