Re: FM operations in RS downlink

Hello Grant!

24 Feb 01 13:20, you wrote to Tony Langdon:

 GZ> At any rate CW is a very useful mode for those who are patient and
 GZ> willing to learn the skill.  Contacts are FAST!  I've been licensed
 GZ> for over 30 years, passed my 20 wpm test and still am a miserable CW
 GZ> operator.  I don't really enjoy it as much as other modes....so I use
 GZ> them and not CW.  Someday I'd like to be good at CW though and maybe I
 GZ> will.  I know there are (HF) DX countries and satellite stations
 GZ> I could have worked if I had that skill, but I'm not there yet.

Seems we're in the same boat with CW.  It's a skill I'd like to develop further
too, a very handy one to have in the bag when the chips are down. :)

 GZ> In Amateur Radio many different skills and knowledge come into play
 GZ> when putting a station together.  CW (morse) operation is one of
 GZ> those
 GZ> skills.

True.  There's also many other skills that are not examineable that make a good
operator (that goes for voice as well as CW).  One of the most important I've
found is attention to the tiniest detail in a signal - a clunk here or a funny
noise there can tell a lot about what has happened between the other person's
Tx and your Rx.  Many hams can't distinguish the different beeps used on
multiband repeaters to indicate which band you're on, and I've heard QSOs with
one station on the output... and no one notices!

I'm forever noticing every little click, plop or splat on the signal - they
might just tell me what I need to know. :)

And a lot of voice operators have poor microphone technique, a few minor
changes there can make a huge improvement to one's transmitted audio.  I was
lucky, and was exposed to training materials from the emergency services (my
family has a long history with the volunteer fire brigade - I spent over 10
years in total myself, and did a lot of comms in that time).

Tony, VK3JED

.. in there.