From: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 10:50 PM
To: w4epi@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Source for F to N/SO239 Adapters

"Steve Diggs, W4EPI" wrote:

> The Drake (at least the ones Mark Fossum got out of Japan recently) have a
> female F connector on the IF side. I doubt anyone who went to the trouble
of
> building a high performance receive system would want to lose most of that
> signal by running either  RG58 or RG6 with an F connector on it down into
> their shack. Better to use the adapters I found and run LMR400 or similar
> and keep that precious signal strength.

Yes they do, but actually it likely is of little consequense.  The first
active
stage sets the system noise figure and after it is downconverted to IF,
there
should be enough signal that it matters little (if any) what happens in the
IF
cable.  I have every expectation of running RG-6 down from the antenna and
downconverter.  This is no different than the IF cable for a Ku band DSS
satellite, or C band satellite receive system.  I do the same thing on a C
band
amateur TV receive.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC