infrared receiver for PC?

Perhaps a tad off-topic, nonetheless....

Can anyone direct me to an external infrared receiver (and xmitter) for a
PC?  For example, many laptop computers have built in IR ports.  I was
wondering if anybody has purchased/used such a unit for a regular desktop
computer.  An ideal unit might connect to the PC via the USB port.

I just can't find anything appropriate on the web.  Must not be searching
for the right thing, or perhaps the right places.

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]