[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: Damaged RF Power module



on 2/24/01 9:10 AM, Ulf Kumm at ulf@symek.de wrote:

> Be extremely careful: The modules may contain ceramic insulators
> made from Beryllium Oxide. This material is very toxic!

Actually, there has never been a death reported due to Beryllium Oxide
contamination (Berylliosis) that I know of.  It is only dangerous if it is
in powder from and inhaled.  And then it has to be in significant amounts.
Handling solid BeO with your hands is not poisonous, is not toxic.  You
could literally eat the stuff and it would not affect you.

The great thing about BeO is that it is processed with environmentally
friendly chemicals (ie: WATER).  Aluminum Nitride which is seen as a "green"
replacement requires all sorts of nasty, non-environmentally friendly
chemicals when components are made from it!  Go figure!

73,

Jon
NA9D

ps: Ulf's main point though is very valid.  It is likely NOT worth trying to
repair an RF Power Module.  They aren't built with repair in mind.

-------------------------------------
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

----
Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org



AMSAT Top AMSAT Home