Re: FM operations in RS downlink

Hello Jon!

23 Feb 01 19:19, you wrote to Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL:

 JO> The WORST and I mean the WORST QRM on the ham bands come from OLD
 JO> FARTS who think they own a particular frequency and that no one else
 JO> can use their frequency on 20 meters at 9AM on a Sunday morning
 JO> because they have ALWAYS talked to their buddy from wherever at that
 JO> time on that frequency every week for 40 years.  If you were there
 JO> before them, they'll start cussing at you to get off.

Funnily enough, the same situation exists here.  Most of the licenced
troublemakers I've envountered have been those with the HIGHEST grade of
licence (except for one or two HF wannabes who refuse to study for the code).
Certainly the worst offenders had the 10WPM Morse (our top speed).

Mind you, a lot of the older hams down here have been very encouraging to those
of us who gained extra priviledges in July last year (my 5WPM Morse now gives
me full band access, instead of only 3 HF bands + all of VHF/UHF).  Although
I've heard stories of harrassment, I haven't yet experienced it, even when
dropping into nets on 40m, a band which I previously wasn't allowed to use at
all. :-)

But the point is that CW doesn't guarantee anything except that the candidate
has _some_ idea about Morse. :-)

Tony, VK3JED

.. ion.