From: Jon Ogden [mailto:na9d@mindspring.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 20:19 PM
To: Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FM operations in RS downlink

I've tried to stay out of this, but I can't any more!

We had restructuring occur last April.

Prior to last April, QRM existed on the HF bands.  One night a couple of
years ago, I was listening around on 80m.  Some guys was playing a tape
over
and over again that said, "He's a member of the KKK, f*****g Nazi
fa**ot."
Over and over again.  Now, where these hams dumbed-down no-code
licensees?

NOT!

The WORST and I mean the WORST QRM on the ham bands come from OLD FARTS
who
think they own a particular frequency and that no one else can use their
frequency on 20 meters at 9AM on a Sunday morning because they have
ALWAYS
talked to their buddy from wherever at that time on that frequency every
week for 40 years.  If you were there before them, they'll start cussing
at
you to get off.

Or, I was running stations in the SSB WPX contest 2 years ago on 20
meters,
just above the SSTV portion of the band.  The SSTV guys gradually crept
higher and higher until we were both QRMing each other.  Then they
started
yelling at me for interfering with them while I had been on that
frequency
for over an hour.

All this BEFORE restructuring.  These were hams that passed a code test
and
a 13 WPM code test at that!

In my experience with the new 5 wpm HF licensees, I have found them to
be
gracious, eager to learn and yes, prone to mistakes, but teachable.
It's
exciting to see them.

Also, if you look at the hams that Hollingsworth is going after, notice
the
how many of them have EXTRA class calls?  A good number.  Gee, these
people
passed 20 wpm code exams!

Code means nothing about how good an operator you will be.  NOTHING.

Lastly, someone else suggested that ham radio is a dying hobby filled
with a
bunch of old farts who when they die, will be the end of the hobby.
First
of all, the ham radio population is aging because the population as a
whole
is aging.  Second, if you want to see an area of ham radio that is
rapidly
growing, is full of many GREAT operators and has an age group that is
typically between 20 to 40, then check out contesting.  Once you play in
few contests, you'll no longer say ham radio is dying.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 2/21/01 11:13 AM, Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL at vlfiscus@mcn.net wrote:

>> Nicely said, Red.
>>
>> So I guess "restructured licences" is the new code words for the loss
of
>> the beloved CW requirement...the "affirmative action" for the "dying"
mode
>> that once kept the kids, lids and good buddies in their place. (note
the
>> quotes: CW isn't really dying, you know).
>
> I don't think I mentioned CW, but the league is working to propose
totally
> eliminating it.
>
> I'm not blaming nor do I mean to attack anyone on the BB, but I
believe
> things have gotten worse on the bands since april 2000.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na