Re: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

on 2/20/01 10:26 AM, Edward R. Cole at al7eb@ptialaska.net wrote:

> Now why Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood all ignore the 222 MHz band in their new
> dc-->light rigs???  Could it be that the commercial divisions of those
> companies don't want to see any occupation of those frequencies by
> hams...could they have their eyes on them?  Hmm!

No, it's because the only place in the world where 220 can be used by
amateurs is in North and South America.  They would make a product limited
to one "small" segment of the market.  And with the views that many US hams
have about 220 (some think we lost it completely and others think we are in
the process of having it taken away 10+ years later), I don't think it would
sell all that well (Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco and ADI all make 220 rigs now in
either mobile or handheld but they don't burn sales records).

It's purely a function of marketing.  You and I would both like to see it.
I wish 902 to 928 would be in a radio too..........why should we include 220
and leave that out?

73,

Jon
NA9D