From: Estes Wayne-W10191 <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] UO-14 on Field Day

> Maggie wrote:
>
> Contacts on the linear birds should definitely receive more points.
> And the more people drawn by the additional points to developing the
operating techniques for using the linear birds, the more of a skill pool we
will have out there.

> Wayne replies:
>
> EXCELLENT idea.  Perhaps the AMSAT Field Day rules shouldn't give credit
for FM contacts at all.  It would be easy to justify because of the limited
capacity of FM satellites and the fact that the main event of the weekend is
ARRL Field Day, not AMSAT Field Day.  FM satellites would be "reserved" for
use by ARRL Field Day groups trying to make a single satellite contact for
100 ARRL FD bonus points.  The FM satellites would still be packed on Field
Day, but with fewer alligators and little incentive to monopolize the
channel.

> I avoid FM satellites, so I don't know if this would help very much.  But
it MIGHT enable more ARRL Field Day participants to have a positive "first
experience" with amateur satellites.  That would be good for AMSAT in the
long run.