From: "Estes Wayne-W10191" <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 11:17 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] CW

> Vince Fiscus wrote:
>
> I don't think I mentioned CW, but the league is working to propose totally
eliminating it.

> Wayne replies:
>
> False!  Even Vince knows that the ARRL is not trying to ban CW.
>
> The ARRL has accepted political reality that there is no longer a global
consensus that international treaty should REQUIRE CW testing for amateur
licenses.  The ARRL is not actively working to enact this treaty change.
They have merely decided not to oppose it.

> Even if international treaty no longer requires CW testing for amateur
licenses, every nation is still free to require a CW test if it wants to.

> The ARRL is not lobbying to eliminate CW testing in the U.S. (it's a moot
point before the treaty changes).

> It remains to be seen if the FCC will propose to eliminate CW testing in
the U.S. after it is no longer required by international treaty.

> Only one thing is certain: CW will remain popular on the ham bands,
regardless of licensing requirements.