Cool Gadget to auto tune for doppler

Hello folks

Some kind person poked me the other day into trying InstantTune on my
FT-847.

And then another kind person mentioned on the BB using one of the PC
emulators for Windows CE too.

Well I now have what must be one of the coolest ways of Doppler tuning a
radio, with InstantTrack, PocketDOS and a Compaq i-Paq. The serial
syncronization cable even plugs right into the back of the 847 without any
adapters or null modem cables.

Very well recommended. Definitely going with me next time I go portable.

Of course I'm sure if my old HP200LX were still alive I'd be using that.

FWIW the XT-CE emulator wouldn't tune the radio although InstantTrack itself
is OK: it looks like InstantTune talks to the serial ports in a way that
XT-CE can't cope with. I tried reading and writing direct to the ports in
XT-CE and it's as if nothing's there. Via the BIOS it's OK.

PocketDOS however, although slightly slower than XT-CE, does work correctly,
and makes operating a cinch.

IT works at a very acceptable speed too.

Very very cool.

73 Howard G6LVB