Re: FM operations in RS downlink

"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote:

> You're right, I hadn't considered that.  Let's all be stupid everyone.

You first. Oh, sorry, you've already started. :-)

Nonsense. CW proficiency demonstrates little besides patience with quaint
technology and perhaps a sense of rhythm. It doesn't advance the radio art.

The other licencing criteria are fundamentally unchanged. If the ops are dumber,
it's certainly not because they haven't copied enough CW. It may be that the
exams aren't technically hard enough, or more likely just need updating. Maybe
some hams need retesting, too.

I've never met anybody I thought was made smarter by CW, although you might
convince me that a few people have maybe copied too much of it and gotten the
opposite effect. I'll agree it's a lot of fun, and useful under the right
circumstances, but while it may be music to some folks ears, Mozart it's not.
Nor is it a Mensa entrance exam. :-)

I'll drop this now, Vince will get his requisite crusty last word about the
impending ham radio apocalypse due to the vast unwashed hordes who don't have
enough CW, and we'll all go on with life.

Say Vince, speaking of things you're going to do to improve the situation...the
last time we went rounds on this about a year ago you were about to turn in your
VE credentials in protest. Did you ever actually do that?

You can go ahead now; now that I have mine, I'll replace you. :-)

 73 de Maggie K3XS

P.S.: See you here again for the same rant next year. :-)